Speedwatch statistics as at mid March 2012

Since Speedwatch started in 2009 there have been 54 sessions, each of one hour. These have been held at locations in Charlesworth, Chisworth and Gamesley, at various times of day and on various days of the week. And in all weathers.
On average, each session resulted in 8 letters being sent to speeders doing 36 mph or more in a 30 mph limit. Some sessions may have had only 2 or 3, whereas others resulted in 20 or more letters.
The Police have done some analysis of the figures (for which we are very grateful - bear in mind that these data have been extracted from the total figures for the whole of the Glossop area - ) and have come up with the following.
  • 2009 - 33 Letters were sent. Take into account that we started doing Speedwatch in June of that year. 
  • 2010 - 86 Letters were sent.
  • 2011 - 284 Letters were sent. The large jump is indicative of the increased frequency with which we did Speedwatch that year and the continuation through winter. 
  • 2012 to date - 50 Letters have been sent.
  • Since the Police's computerised database was started at the beginning of 2011 there have been 10 vehicles caught speeding on more than one occasion in the whole of the Glossop area. Of those vehicles all ten were caught speeding in Charlesworth/Chisworth. However five of the ten are vehicles registered in the Charlesworth/Chisworth area. Small figures, but from them we can deduce that all the reoffending in Glossop occurs in Charlesworth and half of it is by residents.
  • Also since the database began, 34 vehicles registered to the Charlesworth/Chisworth area have been caught speeding in the whole of the Glossop area. Of those 34 that were caught 31 were actually speeding IN Charlesworth and Chisworth. Again not massive figures but they show that the vast majority of Charlesworth residents that do speed do so in their own village. 
  • There have been 334 letters sent out in the last two years and just short of 10% were sent to Charlesworth/Chisworth residents.The remaining 90% were sent elsewhere but mainly the Glossop area.